Wacom Tablets

Discussion in 'Design Technology' started by Gameface, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    Well folks, I\'ve decided I need to invest in a tablet, and took a look at the Wacom website today because I\'m told this is the best product to buy, but I\'m feeling lost as to what I need to buy. These products aren\'t exactly cheap so I want to make sure I make the right investment. So can I start off by asking what everyone uses, are you happy with the size or do you wish you\'d gone with a larger size? What size is it and how does in work with the screen size of A3 or A4? How does it work with the various programs. Secondly this I want to know, there\'s tablets with pen but options with touch and pen, which is better, or what exactly do they mean by touch? For Industrial design sketching is the tablets good enough? For doodling or say illustration with is better? All help is great:)
  2. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    Just another question folks, anyone know do these tablets work with programs like Solidworks or other 3D packages?
  3. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    I think lots of people buy an expensive tablet thinking it will improve their sketching ability. If you are having problems with the traditional analog sketching style you will still be having problems with the digital version.

Are you thinking about going digital from now on or will you be using a combination of both analog and digital sketching methods? But back to the questions you asked I would probably recommend you to look at the Intuos5 or the very very expensive Cintiq wacom tablets. I have a Intuos4 large tablet which is good but i cant see it advertised on their website (old stock), I can only see the Intuos4 extra large The table works fine with my other programmes its basically a better mouse but I use the keyboard also. The only issue I had with it was that I could not rotate the page with the ExpressKeys for some reason..... so I do it manually. Not to sure about other tablets on the market, can they compete with the wacom when it comes to line control and pressure sensitive, they’re seems to be a lot of tablets out there at the moment but who are they geared towards business people or designers?

www.wacom.com
  4. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    Oh I plan to stay a mixture of both, well start off on paper to get the rough sketches and layouts done, then after a bit of cleaning up bring onto the computer and use the tablet. I put this question up on other sites as well and got some interesting answers. I was actually looking at the Intuos 5 when I posted this question, the cinqit is way out of my price range for now. But yes that\'s what most people said, def get one and if you can afford it go to the cinqit. One person did say you can get the Intuos 4 cheaper for like 200 quid and that might be a good way to learn without spending too much, but think I would rather spend the money on the Intuos 5, looking at the improvements the touch function alone is worth the investment.
  5. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    So what size are you thinking about getting? Correct me if I am wrong but did you mention you wanted to transport this around in a laptop bag? If you got the Intuos5 large will it fit into a laptop bag? What size laptop screen do you have? Here are some specs you need to convert the price into euros tho.

Intuos5 touch small
    Active Area (157 x 98 mm)
    Physical Size (320 x 208 x 12 mm)
    Price: $229.00

Intuos5 touch Medium
    Active Area (224 x 140 mm)
    Physical Size (380 x 251 x 12 mm)
    Price: $349.00

Intuos5 touch Large
    Active Area (299 x 190 mm)
    Physical Size (487 x 318 x 12 mm)
    Price: $469.00
  6. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    Cheers for the prices chap. Was looking at either medium or large, but the debate is would medium be too small. Yes would like the ability to be able to bring around in a laptop bag so would the large be too big then. How do you find the size of your tablet in terms of illustrator and Photoshop sheets such as A3 or A4?
  7. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    That’s what I thought too, didn’t want to regret getting a small one… so I got a large one instead. You can get a laptop bags in a school bag shape that will hold it fine, but if you looked on the web you will probably find a laptop bag that will accommodate it. The tablets fine with illustrator and Photoshop sheet size, but I did find that the lines are much better in sketchbook, but have Adobe addressed that in CS5? (ya still using the old version)

[youtube]oeeQ_gZaj-w[/youtube]
  8. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    I seen a bag on computerarts, they were giving away 3 in a quiz (didn\'t win) which I think should hold both the laptop and table, need to check that out again, checked on the website and they were about 110 sterling. A lot I know but better to go for quality. Not sure if the linework is improved yet on adobe, maybe it is but a lot of people use the tablets with them programs. The video (2nd in line) which you put up the other day is a great selling one, makes me want to def get one..lol