U2 singer Bono praises northern design 'genius' Sir Jonathan Ive

Discussion in 'Design News' started by Gameface, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    Bono justifies why the 46-year-old designer deserves his place in the list of 100 most influential people in the world. Any Irish designers we could get him to highlight...lol.
  2. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    Agreed Ives is a great designer, but why is Bono trying to justify this, does his opinion matter to me that much? No, I don’t think so; I think this kind of endorsement would be better coming from normal people, government or business saying something like good design equals good business or good design equals happier customers. I would associate Bono more with charitable work rather than product design endorsement. But that’s just me I don’t really give much weight to what celebrities say and who and what products they endorse, Will.I.am is another example of this.
    Trying to keep it local then.....:rolleyes:
  3. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    I’m going to ask the hard question but is your response dictated because I picked Bono as the person endorsing Mr Ives? Most Irish people hear Bono say something and straight away they say oh not that twat, now I’m not standing up for him, but that’s the reality. I’d say there’s lots of Irish people out there who don’t like U2 and their music, not because they don’t like their music but because Bono is the front man and he is always seems to have an opinion on everything in people’s eyes. Yes why should we take notice of what a celebrity says? One could ask what would they know about product design? But what gives a normal person, a government or business more weight for endorsing something, why would they have more knowledge than a say someone like Bono. Many people in business only care about money, not about the product, as for the government, if Joe Soap politician comes out and gave the same endorsement as what Bono did there would you actually take him seriously?? With the exception of a small minority in Ireland, how many people actually know what Industrial Design actually is?

What I’m trying to say is it shouldn’t matter that its Bono is that person, but rather it’s great that he will take the time to talk about something like this and highlight Industrial designer, why, because people are going to be taking far more notice coming from him or another celebrity than if a normal person, politician or business person where to give the interview. With the exception of a few big name business people most people are going to say who??, and that’s if they even get to have an interview in the first place. From a PR point of view it’s great, but as I say it’s a pity he doesn’t do the same for an Irish designer but then again maybe he doesn’t know any or maybe there’s not any up at that level? Interesting debate we can have one that point, to go off on a different tangent, I left this for a few minutes and forgot where I was bringing this..lol, If I remember I’ll post again.
  4. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    What ?? Ives should be in the top 100 for sure, and I do listen to U2s tunes BTW. However, regardless to what Bono says it will not affect my judgment.

You know many celebrities do this kind of thing for financial gain, because they have many sheepish followers, they can advertise it to them and it will have an effect. Now I am not saying Bono has done that here, but why should I listen and give a crap to what any celebrity says?

Yes, I would but if Joe Soap could do it by using facts and figures and was able to show the advantages of using design/employing a designer it may appeal more to business community tho and encourage them to hire more designers. No? Because it affects their bottom line as you said. A normal person has gone out and spent their cash on it, they use it and they will tell you if it was worth it or not.
  5. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    Yes I agree they often do it for financial gain, there is of course the link between U2 and apple, there was the U2 themed i-pod which came out after they released 'How to Dismantle' album with all their songs on it, he was mates with Mr Jobs so how much of that link is still there between the two brands with regards finance is the question.
    And of course normal people spend their hard earned cash on these products but doen't mean that those with money don't use them or know there worth.