The New Approach to Industrial Design.

Discussion in 'General Design Talk' started by Gameface, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    Came across this interesting article. We\'ve mentioned a few interviews with James Dyson on this site, well here\'s an article from designjuices saying the fututre of ID is in on screen prototypes as opposed to making phyical models. Having read Dyson\'s book I know he made over 1000 models before he got his vacuum design. Question is do you agree with this article? James Dyson still believes there\'s nothing better than getting into the workshop and getting your hands dirty. So which site of the fence are you or do you like a combination of both? Or do you even get a choice?

The New Approach to Industrial Design.
  2. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    I would say the future is a combination of both early model making and Rapid prototyping. Don’t you need to make mocks up first, to verify the scale and maybe function? Going straight to a rapid prototype could be a costly mistake. What do you think gameface?
  3. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    I think model making is still going to be key. Or rather as you say a combination of it and 3d printing / rapid prototyping. As cool as the simulation is on a computer I still think it can have its draw back