Solidworks (educational version)

Discussion in 'Design Software' started by sketchforsketch, Nov 27, 2012.

1. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    I am doing a solidworks course and I was given the educational programme to practice on, but there is no photoview rendering engine with it. Is this normal?
  2. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    Photoview 360 comes with professional version of Solidworks. There is 3 versions, the standard, professional and premium. Each one cost more and has extra\'s included. I\'d say that the educational version is standard hence there is no photoview 360 add in option. I take it you went tools>add-ins and clicked photoview 360? I think the reason its not in it is that they just want to teach or let people get the feel for the modelling, maybe you have to ask for the rendering but probably you have to do a course, I know we are looking into it here to see would it be feasible to buy but would it be as good as rendering as other packages such as key shot, Maxwell etc. How are you finding the Solidworks? Are you getting the hang of it?
  3. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    I did that but nothing was there. Just messing about with it for now, doing some tutorials at the moment. Yes, there seems to be better rendering engines out there. The licence will expire soon enough so learning time is limited.
    Thanks
  4. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    How long do you have for the license trial? Is it 15 days? Do you think that is enough time for someone to learn enough for getting a job or would you really need to take a course? Is the trial more a tool for people to evaluate it to see if its something they would buy for their business do you think?
  5. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    \"How long do you have for the license trial? Is it 15 days?\"
    The license is just for 29 days…. =( . No its not enough time, could do with a year. :=D If you’re motivated enough you can learn it without enrolling in a course. There is enough tutorials and info on youtube to learn what all the commands do, but saying that is it good, enough to get a job don’t know.

\"Is the trial more a tool for people to evaluate it to see if its something they would buy for their business do you think?\"
    No it’s the educational version in order for users to learn it…..no?
  6. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    Having used and learned Solidworks from scratch i\'d say 29 days is not enough time unless your at t full time and during that time working on real life projects where you can test out what you\'ve learned. Its not until you get a tricky solution that you really learn from something like solidworks. But to get the basic\'s of the program then 29 days is probably enough. But def wouldn\'t be enough time when working on projects where you use surfaces for complex shapes. You\'d need a year at it i\'d say, just trying out different shapes. For example for modelling bottles I\'m all the time learning and changing how I model. Ans everytime I see someone from the mould companies modelling bottles I pick up up bits and pieces. They use Pro E but still when I was over and seen how to do something I then want to go back to the office and have a go like they did, but getting the time is key.