Is it still Industrial Design?

Discussion in 'Industrial/Product Design' started by Gameface, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Gameface

Gameface Moderator Staff Member

I’m just wondering, what if you set up a small design studio at home, maybe have it on the side for evenings and weekends when you’re not at your 9-5 job. After all of us here are passionate about design and for many of us this passion is only realised outside our main income job. Anyway back to my point, say I’ve set up this studio, and start designing product’s but their maybe one offs or maybe only a couple at a time as I can’t afford to have hundreds made or there isn’t the market to have them made at once. Is this still Industrial Design or is it now in the craft design? Or is this were Product design comes into play? Is Industrial design something which has to be factory made or has it evolved into something new?
  2. Joergn

Joergn Member

interesting, kinda glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty. craft design, design not for mass production V industrial design, design of mass production products. mmm not right.
    maybe theres no V just a big grey area open to be seen differently from your own perspective. mmm still thinking over a large mug of coffee
  3. Gameface

Gameface Moderator Staff Member

Well thing is Industrial design like everything has evloved from where it started. Its a different beast to how it was when it come about in the early part of the 20th centuary, and it probably had a numbe rof golden periods, 30\'s, 50\'s and even 80\'s, but many things have changed in how we approach design now. The core principles of ID are still there but is it true to say its not ID unless its linked to big industries..lol. but as you say glass half full/half empty..lol. As you say needs some thinking over a cup of coffee or tea...no sure which I\'ll think over because I\'m off both these days:(
  4. sketchforsketch

sketchforsketch Administrator Staff Member

I know you can argue the lines between all these professions are starting to get blurred a bit. And many people are asking what is design, and its all the same really? But I think there is a difference in how industrial designers views the world and a project they undertake to that of a craft person and an Artist. Just because your not using mass production methods that doesn’t mean it not Industrial design. Isn’t Industrial design about the end user, Function, and the justification for a product to exist. Does anyone have any other views on this.
  5. ParrLeu

ParrLeu New Member

Industrial Design was created to marry up craft level production with mass production, really - a focus on making form and function meet, so to type. In previous times, mass production could only really be profitable if it was really large mass. Now, you can have items produced one at a time that are as machined as factory built by ordering them online, like with Shapeways and Kraftwurx, etc. - and you can even have factory runs of a few hundred items that you order at home. So, it seems like these newer production options are still industrial design, with the definition not really changed so much as expanded to include modern production options. :)
    Joergn likes this.
  6. Daniel

Daniel New Member

i just want to say,if you like industrial design,do it best,your work would be approved and admired by other people once you have excellent design.

We could hep you turn the concept into real for your design.(This is Daniel, work for Jevny that is specialize in rapid prototype and tooling in China,could give you the best price with quick turnaround time)

7. Patrick Sheedy

Patrick Sheedy New Member

Its whatever you want it to be.