Design in Irish Schools

Discussion in 'Design Education' started by Gameface, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    Is the level of design education in Irish schools good enough? Is there what you could call design even there? If you look at the numerous sites out there..core77 as an example, there\'s loads off school kids on posting, asking questions about design/design schools, uploading sketch and asking questions about design software they are learning in school. Maybe we were behind the times in my school but I didn\'t see photoshop or cad or Solidworks till I went to college..hell I nearly didn\'t know what they were..as for sketching...well we drew nice pictures but we didn\'t do what I know to be proper Industrial design sketches with perspective etc..to be honest I didn\'t know what ID was when I was in school, and probably didn\'t really know or understand it till I left college..yet many of the American kids are wondering which is the best college to do their course in...
  2. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    Yes, design is being taught in Irish Schools it does exists, it is there!!!! I got a phone call one day from a Ty student asking for some help with a CAD question. I was thinking to myself ya, this would only be basic stuff, they must be using Google sketchup or some cheap package like that. Got the shock of my life when I seen the software packages they had access to. Solidworks and Photoshop if you don’t mind. Couldn’t believe it, also they were using the design process and designing their own solutions for a Sat Nav stem. I flicked through some of their concept sketches and developments and was pleasantly surprised, most of these guys came up with good solutions to the design question. Their sketching skills weren’t that bad either.. I think the name of the course was something like Design Communication and Graphics. So you know, design it is there what are they going to do with it…. that’s the question?

Now this design class is probably a government strategy to encourage creative thinking at an early stage, in order to increase product out put later on down the track. On the other hand, maybe they’re trying to get them hooked on something interesting like the design process and then force-feed them I.T crap. Who knows.
    Anyways I went home that day feeling kind of happy and sad at the same time. Happy because maybe now the Irish may become more open and aware to the possibilities of design and sad wondering why the hell did my design college provided me with second rate 3D design software.
    (penny-pinching #@*~#)
  3. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    good to hear things have changed from when i was there...not that my art teacher was crap, he was great but we didn\'t really get shown much about id..
  4. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    Take a look at the link http://www.t4.ie/design_core.htm