Chinese Hub in Athlone (build it and they will come)

Discussion in 'General Design Talk' started by sketchforsketch, May 1, 2012.

1. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

www.ecth.ie

Plans are a foot to locate a Chinese trading hub in Athlone, Co Westmeath, the goal of this is to allow Chinese producers/manufacturers to showcase their products to a global audience. The first phase of the planning permission has been granted. The Hub will be made up of a Four-storey reception hall, A multi-purpose exhibition hall known as the China hall, Two huge exhibition halls, Nine trading halls, An external exhibition space, A glass covered walkway, Underground multi-purpose car park that can hold over 1,300 cars, Energy centre with a wind turbine.

“It is expected that Athlone Business Park Ltd will market the proposed development to Chinese companies interested in having an trading hub where they could sell their wares directly to European customers, without the need to travel to China.”

“It is envisaged China Hall would be transformed every few months to showcase a different sector of Chinese manufacturing and promote associated businesses.”

So, what do you guys think of that? Would it be a nice hunting area for some possible design work or maybe you are thinking something eles?
  2. Gameface Moderator

Message Count:
    From what i\'ve heard today this could be in doubt, there\'s lots to get done before it gets built, firstly Ireland isn\'t the only place they are looking at, there\'s planning permission granted tos number off sites around Europe, I believe Liverpool may be one. Secondly they need 200 million euro just to get the first phase built...so will be interesting to see where it goes but if anything happens would be great for the economy of the country.
  3. sketchforsketch Administrator

Message Count:
    How\'s it in doubt? Ya it will have to compete with U.K competition but they are not in the euro and they have a proper manufacturing base. Maybe they don’t want the influx of cheaper products that will destabilise their recovery. I think I read somewhere that the Chinese will be covering the cost…. However, I could be mistaken.