Augmented reality

Discussion in 'Design Technology' started by Gameface, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Gameface

Gameface Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone here had any dealings with Augmented reality? We are currently looking into this at work as a few people we have dealt with provide this service and we are looking at what type of software would be be able to purchase to make use of when dealing with customers. Basically we make glass bottles and jars, and at present when we are developing a new bottle we will provide photorealistic images (outsourced) of what the new bottle will look like. We would like to use this Augmented reality so that we can in a presentation using say a tablet show the bottle on the screen in the room we are in. Basically don\'t know where to start about looking so any help would be great.
  2. Gameface

Turns out that Solidworks 3D Viewer (E-drawings) can do this when downloaded to an I-Pad, and there is plans to have an app ready for later in the year for android devices. Don't know why they made it work for the apple device when as far as I know solidworks can't run on apple pc's (I may be wrong). They did the same for the phone app for Solidworks World..strange..
    ParrLeu likes this.
  3. ParrLeu

ParrLeu New Member

Hi GameFace,

We did not know SolidWoks had that functionality, but that is pretty exciting - will definitely look at ways to use that! If it does not fit all of your needs, there are a lot of AR programs coming out - Heather demo'ed a few for a botanical garden interested in replacing its physical tags with AR recently that she found doing a basic search - no links handy, but look around for AR and your specific needs for it and you'll probably find something great - even some of the free ones will let you load databases of images and such now, which can be great for more complex needs. : - )

Thx,
    Heather and Joe
  4. ParrLeu

ParrLeu New Member

Found this article: http://solidsmack.com/cad-design-ne...feature-augmented-reality-model-presentation/ on the SolidWorks AR you mentioned - looks great! Thanks again, GameFace.

- Heather and Joe
    sketchforsketch likes this.
  5. Gameface

Solidworks have finally released their 3D viewer for Android phones and tablets. I always find it strange they develop tools for apple products first even though most users of CAD and Solidworks are on PC's