Design TV Shows

Design TV Shows

So folks what design shows out there provide you with inspiration, or just a case off sitting down relaxing and seeing some cool design in action. There's a few I love but maybe you've come across some I haven't seen. Personally two off My favorite shows to watch as Miami Ink and American Chopper. Firstly Miami Ink, it was the first of the Ink shows to make it onto television, it was followed by L.A Ink, London Ink and there's also Dublin Ink (a few shows) and I believe a New York Ink. For me I prefer the original and best Miami Ink, maybe its because this was the first I got into, but I think is a cooler show altogether..its about a tattooist Ami James who sets up a tattoo shop in Miami with his mates, and even though its not something i'd like to get done the art is just awesome...its cool the way they develop from an idea in the customers head, to sketching it out to finally getting the artwork tattooed.
    As I said the other show I love to watch is American chopper, like Ink i'm not into bikes but its cool to see the bikes been design, made and finally unveiled, and of course the rows between Junior and senior...from a design end it cool to see Jason Pohl, the head designer at work. He uses a combination of sketching, Photoshop and Solid works to make the customers visions a reality..their both shows I didn't know about when they first come out but now love watching them..so folks any other cool design shows out there?

Gameface
    useravatar
    211 Posts
    Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Design TV Shows

Ya actually watched Orange County American Choppers a few years ago, but haven’t since then. I wouldn’t agree with their design process at all, because they seem to lob all kind of crap onto the frames of their bikes. These frames by the way were all standardized so you’re not really getting anything new here. Now that was a few years ago maybe they have changed? Enjoyed some of the manufacturing insight example of which would be when they’re creating the fuel tanks. I haven’t seen the other show you mentioned (Miami Ink) but it sounds good.

sketchforsketch
    useravatar
    162 Posts

sketchforsketch wrote:

Ya actually watched Orange County American Choppers a few years ago, but haven’t since then. I wouldn’t agree with their design process at all, because they seem to lob all kind of crap onto the frames of their bikes. These frames by the way were all standardized so you’re not really getting anything new here. Now that was a few years ago maybe they have changed? Enjoyed some of the manufacturing insight example of which would be when they’re creating the fuel tanks. I haven’t seen the other show you mentioned (Miami Ink) but it sounds good.

so what way would you approach it? I find what they do cool most off the time...there's always a few interesting effects achieved...

Gameface
    useravatar
    211 Posts

so what way would you approach it? I find what they do cool most off the time...there's always a few interesting effects achieved...

I’m no expert, but there is a design process USE IT, don’t cut corners if it affects the quality of the design. (design smart if you can). Lets take some of those theme bikes for instance; you would have to look closely at the brand, identity and what the company is about. Try to incorporate that into a line, silhouette and design language of the bike (hard). Every line drawn on paper should be meaningful and thought out. Build the frame around the design, not the other way around. This will cost money and time to test new frame. At the end of that, you should have bike that reflects the company values, goals and direction. And you should be able to say YES this bike belongs to this company X. What do you think? Is there a better way of doing it? Keep it simple perhaps, or should we lob more sh*t on and see what sticks?

However, let’s get back to the design shows, I think the BBC always churn out good design related content?

sketchforsketch
    useravatar
    162 Posts

the fact its a one off bike means it probably wouldn't be worth the expense to redesign the frame for each bike, some off these bikes are 120k i think...
    just watching the first episode of Miami ink here, its cool the way they get the sketches done, a lot off the work is done using tracing paper...
    ya BBC def has some good shows on design over the last year...that engineering program they did was very good where they traced the history off design and engineering..also the genius of design is another great show they made...i got the box set and watch it all the time...

Gameface
    useravatar
    211 Posts

Gameface wrote:

the fact its a one off bike means it probably wouldn't be worth the expense to redesign the frame for each bike, some off these bikes are 120k i think...

I thought the whole idea of customised design was to rethink everything from the ground up, because it’s a one off. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe it’s just a modification/ add on, e.g., paint job (candy apple red no doubt). lol 

Gameface wrote:

ya BBC def has some good shows on design over the last year...that engineering program they did was very good where they traced the history off design and engineering..also the genius of design is another great show they made...i got the box set and watch it all the time...

Yes I seen the Genius of design programme a while back, ya its interesting. How much did you pay for it?

sketchforsketch
    useravatar
    162 Posts

I think I paid about 15 pound sterling I think, I got it through Amazon...

Gameface
    useravatar
    211 Posts

Another great one is the design for life with Philippe Starck by the BBC. Ya thats going back a good few years.

https://sketchforsketch.com/components/com_agora/img/members/13/mini_Philippe-Starck.jpg

sketchforsketch
    useravatar
    162 Posts
    Add to: Facebook Add to: Twitter Add to: Mr. Wong Add to: Webnews Add to: Icio Add to: Oneview Add to: Folkd Add to: Yigg Add to: Linkarena Add to: Digg Add to: Del.icio.us Add to: Reddit Add to: Simpy Add to: StumbleUpon Add to: Slashdot Add to: Netscape Add to: Furl Add to: Yahoo Add to: Spurl Add to: Google Add to: Blinklist Add to: Blogmarks Add to: Diigo Add to: Technorati Add to: Newsvine Add to: Blinkbits Add to: Ma.Gnolia Add to: Smarking Add to: Netvouz Information