Approaching a Portfolio (college entry)

Poll
    How did you work on your Portfolio for entering College?
    I worked on it when in secondary school while studying
    100% (2 votes)
    I worked on it during the summer before the leaving
    0% (0 votes)
    I took a year out after the leaving cert to work on it
    0% (0 votes)
    I attended a 1 year Portfoilo course after my leaving
    0% (0 votes)
    I did a course that meant I didn't need to bother
    0% (0 votes)
    Other (please comment)
    0% (0 votes)

Total : 2

Poll created on: Sep-13-12 14:41:45

Approaching a Portfolio (college entry)

Well folks, just curious, how did you do your portfolio? Did you wish you'd went some of the other answers or where you happy with how you approached it? More comments the better:)

Gameface
    useravatar
    229 Posts
    Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Approaching a Portfolio (college entry)

Hi Game, I am a bit confused here, is this about a portfolio presentation for a third level college?

sketchforsketch
    useravatar
    169 Posts

sketchforsketch wrote:

Hi Game, I am a bit confused here, is this about a portfolio presentation for a third level college?

. Yes its a poll on portfolio presentation for a third level college, I want to see what the typical approach people took to getting their portfolio ready for college and how we can help students who are currently ot there about to embark on this journey.

Gameface
    useravatar
    229 Posts

Is there only one college that requires a portfolio presentation? In order to see what level the student is at, before allowing them entry? I think its NCAD, not sure the rest of the Industrial design and product design courses demand it. I think this is more prevalent in art course to gain entry, but not as much in design. (don’t know why? Would it raise the bar?)
    If any lecture are looking in at this, could you offer some advice on it? Or maybe you were successful with your portfolio and you gained access to college, could you offer some advice to the viewers.     

Thanks

sketchforsketch
    useravatar
    169 Posts

sketchforsketch wrote:

Is there only one college that requires a portfolio presentation? In order to see what level the student is at, before allowing them entry? I think its NCAD, not sure the rest of the Industrial design and product design courses demand it. I think this is more prevalent in art course to gain entry, but not as much in design. (don’t know why? Would it raise the bar?)
    If any lecture are looking in at this, could you offer some advice on it? Or maybe you were successful with your portfolio and you gained access to college, could you offer some advice to the viewers.     

Thanks

As far as I know NCAD is the only one in the South, actually don’t know about the colleges in the North. And if your applying to a college in Britain or abroad in other countries your most likely need one. Actually if you’re thinking of going abroad I’d say your fairly serious about making design your life as opposed to many who attend college in Ireland who aren’t sure what they want to do (not trying to open a can of worms there). But I’d say the reality is most people who have an interest in design have made at least a start at the portfolio in school, and for various reasons some don’t go far or get it finished. I’m interested in seeing what people’s experiences where, were they similar to our own and what we can do to help young people who are in school thinking of entering a design college but don’t know where to start, where to go to, how to start a portfolio, or what to put into it. Hopefully we can give some guidance here for those school leavers..and of course those leaving college looking for that first job

Gameface
    useravatar
    229 Posts

I just held a career talk in the RDS Higher Options event today for secondary school students. From feedback this and last year a huge number of students find this to be a very grey area.

I personally believe that compiling a portfolio is the only way to highlight your areas of interest and its also a great way to get feedback from others as you progress. Its kind of irrelevant if the college require a portfolio before entry because a portfolio a representation of you.

My tips would be to work with a range of media; different pencils,pens,paints,markers,papers,modelling clays,foams,wire...etc Show the following steps: Idea Generation, Concept Development (refining the idea), Model Making and any other relevant pieces you like. Don't be afraid to include graphics and art pieces in your portfolio that you develop for yourself because you never know what you like until you try it :-) I'm a professional designer but nothing relaxes me more than painting or free drawing so give everything a go while you are starting out :-)

Marianna Kane
    MD of DesignBurst

mariannakane
    ranks
    useravatar
    9 Posts
    Add to: Facebook Add to: Twitter Add to: Mr. Wong Add to: Webnews Add to: Icio Add to: Oneview Add to: Folkd Add to: Yigg Add to: Linkarena Add to: Digg Add to: Del.icio.us Add to: Reddit Add to: Simpy Add to: StumbleUpon Add to: Slashdot Add to: Netscape Add to: Furl Add to: Yahoo Add to: Spurl Add to: Google Add to: Blinklist Add to: Blogmarks Add to: Diigo Add to: Technorati Add to: Newsvine Add to: Blinkbits Add to: Ma.Gnolia Add to: Smarking Add to: Netvouz Information